Friday, April 27, 2007

Calmer now...and proud of my hubby!

Well, you got to see a different side to me... :) Now that I'm calmer I'd like to share some of the more fun things about yesterday.

Jordan was in the paper! We attended a clean up of the local area on Earth Day (last Sunday afternoon). "I (reporter) work my way around the parking lot until I reach the bridge across the water. Coming along the bank towards me is volunteer Jordan Braun. He points to something in the water: it's a child's bicycle with white tires. Without futher ado, he whips off his shoes and socks and wades to the rescue, splashing back to shore moments later with the bike. It's festooned with slimy vegetation but seems to be quite new. Jordan heaves it ashore, then wades under the bride to do battle with the tangle of marooned shopping carts. It takes 10 minutes and the help of another volunteer, Ian Reid, but he finally manages to land all three carts." There's a picture of Jordan wading in the river with his pants soaked. (He took off his shoes and socks and didn't roll up his pants enough.) It makes me feel really good, proud, to see him there. He was doing what we should all be doing...looking after what God's given us. He didn't ask for glory and it's something he's done in the past without fanfare, but I am glad someone noticed this time.

Something else that happened last night occurred just before I got home. Maybe that's why I was so frustrated too...something discouraging on the heels of something really cool. Hmmm... Anyway, I was taking the bus home after a meeting last evening and at the station a Muslim woman sat down next to me. I don't know how to describe what goes through my head. I am not afraid of her. I desperately want to talk to her, just as a person. But I'm always chicken. I couldn't even talk the people on the way to my meeting who seemed outgoing and talkative. It's something I've been dealing with for a while and I prayed about it again last evening as I sat next to her and suddenly I had the impulse to just do it. God said to stop asking for courage and to just go ahead and be courageous. So I did. It's so good that she had a little boy with her because I was able to ask her the age of her son, and lo and behold, she opened up like a can of pop shaken too hard. By the end of the conversation, 5-10 minutes at most, she had given me her phone number and asked me to come with my kids for a visit. Sounds like a divine appointment to me! :) She's very worried about her son having friends to play with and seemed very excited to have us over. She even offered to try to find people to buy my Avon. Now I know she really wanted me to visit! :) All I ask now is that people pray that I follow the Spirit's leading in a friendship with Nada and her son. I don't want to offend unnecessarily and I want to be able to be a good neighbour as God would have me to be.

Well, I need to stop procrastinating and go clean my room! :)