Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What should I do when someone compliments?

I never know what to do with compliments.  Really, I appreciate that they are blessing me, but sometimes, I just don't know how to download what they've said into my brain.  I can also get proud when I hear too much good.  I draw conclusions from what is said and that's not always good.  And then I can completely wipe away what people say.  It's hard for me to figure out.  

What brings this on?  After speaking on Sunday, I had people come tell me I did a good job.  I guess I'm probably beyond wanting to know if I spoke well.  I want to know if people learned from what was said.  If they're going to grow from it.  If their hearts were affected.  Telling me I did a good job seems like such a lie.  I feel so flushed when I'm up there.  I can rarely remember what words came out of my mouth.  I appreciate those comments the best that tell me how a mood, a heart was changed.

Three such things were said to me.  My dad said he was going to act on what was said.  Two others said it hit home.  One in particular said she'd been mulling over stuff like what I was saying for a while and was encouraged to hear it from someone else.  I feel most assured when I hear something like that.  On a side note...my mom said it was super.  I'll have to ask her what aspect she meant.