Friday, July 25, 2008

Yes

As a little child, my parents used a parenting technique which is fairly common.  So common, in fact, that some of the parenting world calls it "1,2, 3 Magic."  I'm sure most of you have heard it used or have used it yourself.  (Johnny, if you don't do x by the time I count to 3, y will be the result.)  Well, the other day, I heard one of my children saying something.  I had just told her for the upteenth time to lay down for her nap.  As I put my own head down to rest, I heard, "Lay down.  Me 'tount to free.  1, 2...pause...me tay free you in trouble.. pause...free." My first reaction was, "What did you say?"

This episode had a huge effect on me!  I went through a whole range of emotions.  I laughed because she had mimicked me so well.  Later I was chastined--Because she had mimicked me so well. I was afraid, because I realized that when I'm least expecting it, she can mimic me so well.  I was also relieved, because I'd rather have her mimicking me than someone else.  



Matthew 5:37 "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."